Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Orrin Woodward - Sweat Equity

Ray Kroc, the former milkshake machine distributor who founded McDonald's when he was in his early 50s, once made an insightful statement about the relationship between luck and achievement. "Luck is a dividend of sweat," he said. "The more you sweat, the luckier you get."

Pro golfer Lee Trevino made a similar comment when he said: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

Compare those tongue-in-cheek comments to the lottery mindset that most people have about success. "Some day my number will come up," they think. "I'll be at the right place at the right time one day and voila! I'll find my four-leaf clover and achieve all my dreams. All I need to be successful is a little bit of luck."

With that kind of attitude, success is the last thing those folks will ever experience. I'm glad that Orrin Woodward thinks more like Ray Kroc and Lee Trevino.